Filled Potato Cakes with mushrooms and peas
For the dough
- 1,25 kg Potatoes
- 150 gr. Rice Flour
- 1 pinch of pepper
- A teaspoonful of extra virgin olive oil
For the filling
- 250 gr. Mushrooms
- 80 gr. fresh or frozen Peas
- About 5 slices of vegan cheese slices
- 1 Onion
- 5 gr. Powdered Paprika
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Frying oil (optional)
- Cook the peeled and chopped potatoes in salted water for about 20 minutes and, when they are soft, transfer to a container and mash with a fork or potato masher, to form a puree.
- Leave to cool, then add the rice flour, extra virgin olive oil, pepper and salt to taste and mix until a smooth dough is obtained which is still dense enough to be worked by the hands. (If too soft, add more flour).
- Meanwhile prepare the filling: in a pan heat some oil and fry the onion until brown, then add the sliced mushrooms and peas and leave to cook for 5 minutes. Now add the paprika, sage and salt to taste, mix and cook for another few minutes or until the vegetables start to soften. (The vegetables don’t need to be completely cooked as they will finish cooking in the oven).
- Divide the potato dough into about 10 balls, flatten each ball and in the centre place a bit of the mushroom and pea mix with about ½ slice of cheese. Close the dough over the filling (if necessary add more dough) and flatten the cakes on both sides to obtain filled discs.
- Heat the oven to 180°C and cook the potato cakes for about 10 minutes or until golden. Serve hot.
If preferred you can cook the potato cakes in hot oil for about 2 minutes on each side.
You can also substitute the filling I have chosen using whichever vegetables you prefer.
Want to know more about Patrizia? Go and read our interview here